A Schengen Visa is a type of visa that allows people to explore Europe. With a Schengen visa, you can travel to 26 European countries! The Schengen Agreement was signed in the year 1985, and it aimed to make a single borderless zone where people could move freely without the need for passport control.
Getting a Schengen visa in Bangladesh is easy as most EU embassies are located in Dhaka.
The Schengen Area
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Schengen Visa Checklist
To apply for a Schengen visa from Bangladesh, you must meet certain requirements, which include:
- Valid passport with a minimum of three months validity from the date of expiry of the requested visa
- Previous passport(s) if applicable
- All previous visa copies
- One recent biometric passport-sized photograph (35x45mm, white background, 70% – 80% face coverage);
- Proof of accommodation
- Flight reservation or travel itinerary
- Statement of purpose
- If employed by a company in Bangladesh:
- Letter from local employer including name, address, and telephone number of
- sponsor/company, with details regarding the applicant’s working position, starting date of
- employment, salary, and timeframe of work leave (expected date to resume duties),
- purpose of travel
- If self-employed:
- Copy of the valid trade license of your own company/employer’s company in Bangladesh
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation with Memorandum of Article (MOA)
- Original Company’s bank statements for the past 6 months
- If student:
- No Objection Certificate from school/college/university
- Original personal bank statements of at least the last 6 months before application and proof of other financial means and assets (e.g. DPS, FDR, holding tax payment receipt
- Documents related to civil status:
- Copy of Marriage Certificate – if married (also “Nikah Nama” both in Bangla and English, for Muslim marriage)
- Copy of Divorce Certificate (“Talak Nama”) – if divorced
- Copy of Death Certificate – in case you are a widow or widower
- Copy of Birth Certificate of your children – if you have children
- Additional documents for applications of minor applicants(age under 18):
- The application form and both declarations have to be signed by the father and mother or legal guardian
- Passport copy (biometric and address page) of the applicant’s father and mother/legal guardian
- If anyone other than the father/legal guardian submits the application:
- Proof of custody/legal guardianship either by submitting a custody order from a family court or
- Overseas medical insurance: Get health insurance cover from any of the following listed companies in Bangladesh –
Schengen-accredited travel health insurance companies in Bangladesh
- Asia Pacific General Insurance Company Ltd.
- Bangladesh General Insurance Company Ltd.
- Bangladesh National Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Central Insurance Company Ltd.
- Delta Life Insurance Company Ltd.
- Dhaka Insurance Limited
- Eastern Insurance Company Ltd.
- Eastland Insurance Company Ltd.
- Green Delta Insurance
- Jiban Bima Corporation
- Mercentile Insurance Company Ltd.
- Paramount Insurance Company Limited
- Phoenix Insurance Company Ltd.
- Pragati Insurance Limited
- Prime Insurance Company Limited
- Sadharan Bima Corporation
- Sena Kalyan Insurance Company Ltd.
- Sikder Insurance Company Limited
- Sonar Bangla Insurance Limited
- United Insurance Company Ltd